If you love travel, finding off-beat and unique destinations, sampling exotic to regional cuisines, and exploring our planet’s beautiful natural riches, then we have a lot in common. Doing it well and preserving the places we love to visit is also a big part of my mission.
I started this site to help others travel well as I have been honing that skill over decades of wanderlust. As travel opportunities blossomed food and under-covered destinations have become a focus as well. I’ve backpacked in Sri Lanka, dug into fresh caught California Dungeness crab with my bare hands, sampled molecular gastronomy at five-star resorts and communed with underwater worlds from Fiji to Cozumel.
Some of my favorite people are fellow travelers and armchair travelers who love words. We get each other. I hope you’ll stay in touch and keep returning to see what else has popped up on my travel radar. Your comments and suggestions are always welcome. Happy travels!
Elaine J. Masters
- Freelance travel writer, blogger, and Podcast Associate Producer on the Journeys of Discovery with Tom Wilmer on NPR.
- Awards: Indie Excellence Award Best Audio, NATJA 2015 Bronze Medal Award for Internet Luxury & Leisure Travel Writing, Society of Professional Journalists San Diego Chapter Blog Honorable Mention, Bob’s Top 100 Best Blogs Bronze Award
- Favorite topics: Quirky adventures, cultural discoveries, traveling well, scuba diving and culinary explorations.
- Interview with Elaine about life and adventures on Travel Notes and Beyond.
Experience: Elaine’s written for many online publications including Trivago, Hipmunk, Roam Right, Gayot Publications, San Diego Dining Out Magazine, and many guest posts. She’s currently a member of IFWTWA, the San Diego Travel Massive founder and co-host. Elaine became a certified Yoga Teacher while self-publishing Drivetime Yoga & Flytime Yoga books and audio. (LINKS BELOW)
Other life experiences informing her writing include a degree in Interdisciplinary Arts from San Francisco State, plus working as a Radio Drama Producer at several SE Alaska and Oregon Public Radio Stations. Those experiences led to a National Commendation Award from American Women in Radio & TV. Elaine’s first love for the performing arts led to a late degree in Theater from Cornish College of the Arts and nearly a decade as a professional actress in theater, film, plus voice-over work in the Northwest before moving to San Diego.
Podcast: Associate producer on the Lowell Thomas Award-winning podcast, Journeys of Discovery with Tom Wilmer. Previously Elaine was the founding host of the top ten podcast, The Gathering Road on the Women’s Radio Network, which included over 150 interviews with travel experts and expert travelers.
Writing Samples include:
- Hope on the horizon for San Diego’s fishing community – Edible San Diego
- Where to live your diving dream – Luxury Living International Magazine
- Sustainable Opah’s turn on the plate – Edible San Diego Magazine
- Pear Schnapps and Jugged Deer, a night in Interlaken – FWT Magazine
- The Pebble Beach Sustainability Award on Travindy
- Travel World Magazine – Cross Country National Parks Road Trip
- Diving Lembeh Straits – Bronze Medal, NATJA
- Miles Geek magazine: Redwood Forest, misty hikes, unforgettable giants
- Tijuana Airport offers San Diegans’ a travel alternative
- Lanai, Hawaii – Why you should go now.
- Hoptails, Game On! – San Diego, Home & Garden
- Rice to the Occasion – Sake in San Diego, SD Home & Garden Magazine
- Power & Grace in Teotihuacan – We Said Go Travel
- Travel World magazine: Manatees, Mangroves and Maragogi, a family adventure in Brazil
- Dining Out Magazine Cover Story– The Bounty of Catalina
- Away from and into everything – We Said Go Travel.com
- Chair and Driving Yoga for Nurses – Scrubs Magazine Online
Drivetime Yoga and Flytime Yoga – books and audio help travelers get where they’re going feeling great:
“I found Drivetime Yoga not only informative and easy to understand but a great antidote for the stress of my daily patrol routine.” – Police Lt. & Author, Randy Sutton
“After talking with Elaine, and reading the Drivetime Yoga book, I can see where these stretches and breathing can even help when I’m riding the bus or sitting at a desk…So, if you haven’t checked out Drivetime Yoga, go take a look. It could just add some much-needed calmness and relaxation to your daily commute.” Becky Scott, Contributing Editor, AskPatty.com, Automotive Advice for Women.
“Flying for any length of time can leave travelers aching, but a few stretches during the journey might prevent the pain. Flytime Yoga is a booklet by author, speaker and yogi Elaine Masters, who provides safe, simple stretches for before, during and after the flight.” – John Vatner, Meetings & Conventions Magazine
“Thank you so much for introducing my Board of Directors to yoga. You did a great job and they loved it. They were still talking about at dinner that night. I look forward to working with you again.” Karen Fricke, Executive Director, Apartment Association Greater Inland Empire
Many thanks to the following fellow travelers who’ve helped to make Tripwellgal.com possible:
Many thanks to Mexican artist, Alejandra, for her generosity and delightful artwork for the Trip Wellness Banner and Logo.
Many thanks to Seattle artist, Jere Smith, for his fun and unique “Neocompostmodern Iconoclassism” perspective and especially for his artwork for the Drivetime Yoga book cover and illustrations.
Julie Garner, Physical Therapist/Ergonomic Consultant
Without Julie’s inspiration and support, Trip Wellness would never have taken off. Thank you doesn’t say it fully.
Dave Rudie, Photographer, Dive Buddy, Fishmonger